Thursday, December 31, 2009

Midnight Train

Hey y'all!

How ya doing? :)

Lunch today was a little leftover rice pilaf from the other night:


We actually just ate “dinner” around 3pm, and it was FABULOUS!!!! My mom made roasted turkey, homemade gravy and dressing, cranberry orange relish, and green beans. Holy delight! I had 2 servings, and wanted so.badly to go back for more! We’re having an apple pecan crumble for dessert, but I don’t want to wait to post until after we eat it. Here’s some pics of dinner!


This afternoon we went to see Invictus with my parents, and I’ve got to say that it was by far one of my favorite sports films. Let me just add that sports films (primarily with team sports) are some of my favorite movies. I grew up playing team sports, and I love the camaraderie that comes from relying on others. Because, let’s face it: in real life, we all rely on one another.

You rely on pilots to not let the plane crash when we travel. If we’re married or in a relationship, we trust the other person to love us and not hurt us. You rely on other drivers just about any where you go to follow the rules, to not be reckless. You rely on manufacturers of clothing, food, shelter, or really anything to do so with integrity. We all need one another, and I thought this film did a great job of portraying that truth.

Watching the South African rugby team do something that was beyond themselves for the sake of their country was a truly inspiring thing for me to see. It served as a reminder that this world and this life is about so much more than little ol’ me. And since this is New Year’s Eve, I’d like to lay out my resolutions:

1. Do something this year that is completely and wholeheartedly selfless. I’m not sure what that specific thing is just yet, but I am tired of being about me and would like to be used for whatever God has in store for me.
2. The standard eat better and exercise more falls in line here; however, this time I’d like to do those things with the heart of inspiring others to live their very best life and to honor the bodies we were blessed with.
3. I’d like to go to culinary school so that I can use my knowledge in order for others to have a better understanding of the blessing that is food.

I’d love to pose a challenge to anyone who reads this to help hold me accountable to these resolutions. Will I be 100% selfless? Not likely. But I can remember to be a better person with your help and prayers? Most definitely.

Thank you all so much for showing the love by leaving encouraging comments and helping me to continue my adventure of finding purpose in this life. I can’t wait to share my journey with y’all for 2010 as well!

What are your plans for New Year's lunch? (hope it includes some black-eyed peas ;)

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. great goals heather! be careful on the road. i'm sorry you have to say goodbye to your awesome family. :(

    ReplyDelete