Thursday, December 10, 2009

T-T-T-T-T Tasty Tasty

Starting off, a finished product of my deeeeeeelightful lunch:


Today at work was kinda slow, probably because I was gearing up for....DATE NIGHT! My sweetie is taking me to see The Blind Side tonight, and I am so excited. You see, growing up in Texas you learn to love football movies. And, well, I love football and movies, and I love football movies, and I love my husband, so it should be an all-around good night, you think?

Tonight's dinner was recipe I made up because I knew we would need a TON of veggies to make up a little for a rich lunch. I'm going to name it Veggie-Packed Turkey Sausage "Spaghetti". Here's the recipe:

For the sauce, I used:
  • 2 zucchini, shredded
  • 1 yellow onion, shredded
  • 3 large carrots, shredded
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 28-oz can of crushed tomatoes
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1 lb. turkey sausage, casings removed
  • favorite seasonings (I used salt, pepper, a pinch of red pepper flakes, oregano, and little bit of thyme)
  • fresh basil leaves, torn
Over medium heat and with 1 Tbsp olive oil, brown and crumble the turkey sausage and drain. Add the shredded vegetables and turkey; saute until vegetables have started to release their liquid. Add the garlic and saute for another 2 minutes. Then add the crushed tomatoes and chicken stock. Add desired seasonings (no basil yet), and bring to a boil. Lower the temperature and simmer on medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Once you've taken the sauce off the heat, add the torn basil and stir!

For the "pasta", cut one spaghetti squash lengthwise and remove the seeds. Place cut-side down in 2 Tbsp of water in a microwavable dish (I had to do one at a time), cover tightly with plastic wrap, and microwave on high for 15-20 minutes. If you do one at a time, do 10 minutes per half. Let cool for 5-10 minutes so that you can take a fork and scoop out the strands for the "pasta"!

Here's how it turned out:


Even my sweetie said he liked it, and it takes a LOT for this guy to like squash!

Finally, before we head out to the movie, I'm going to partake in some of this:


I love ice cream (totally got that from my dad), but if I have it too often...well, it's doubtful I'll be able to stop! I will say the best frozen yogurt I've ever had is in Lubbock at Bless Your Heart! Check it out if you're ever there! Great day of food, and an amazing date to top it all off...I'll take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment